Thursday, September 21, 2017

Week 44 - Nassau, Bahamas

September 21,  2017 - Thursday

Did not receive an email on Monday, September 18th.  The boys have had an interesting week.  They have slept in 5 different locations this week and had to get up at 4:30 a.m. twice this week.  They have struggled getting into WIFI areas so they were not able to email.  Eric did have and MRI done on his shoulder on September 18th in Kingston, Jamaica to see why it is causing him a lot of pain.

All 6 Elder's flew back to the Bahamas on September 20, 2017.  Another hurricane is coming - Maria is this hurricanes name and she could possibly hit the Bahamas but they are not sure at this time where she will go for sure.  They have returned in time to possibly be hit by this hurricane since Irma did not hit the Bahamas.

TRANSCRIBED RECORDING:
     September 21, 2017 - Thursday
Last Week in Jamaica - Back to Nassau
Hello Everybody!
            It has been a long time since you’ve heard my voice.  I haven’t done a voice recording for like two weeks. Apologies!  Last week was a zone p-day in Mandeville and so Elder Christensen and I, being in Junction, went to that. It was way fun. Played some American football, lightning, and a bunch of fun activities with that zone.  Other than that, I can’t remember why I didn’t send a recording the week before. I’m sorry!  Now I’ll tell you all about this week and a little bit of the previous week.
            So we have just been chilling.  Elder Christensen and I have been doing missionary work all over Junction.  A highlight from last week was we got to teach one of Elder Christensen’s former investigators named Tashai.  She’s a super cool lady and has a few kids.  She gave us some water and just before we were going to teach the lesson but that water was nasty!  I had to filter it through my teeth and I decided I wasn’t going to drink this anymore so I just dashed it out.  It probably would have given me giardia so it’s probably good that we threw it away.  Everything was good other than that.  Tashai was awesome.  We read The Book of Mormon and prayed.  Then we committed her to come to church but she said she had to go with her cousins.  Not a very good excuse.  Elder Christensen and I actually found our purpose in Junction and it was way cool.  We have been going around and doing service for everybody and being friendly.  We have tried to do our best with the missionary work.  Elder Smith, one night, was talking and he said, “I’ve just felt so relaxed and tension released as you two are here.  Even though you haven’t done a ton of specific things that have eased my burden, there have been certain things that have helped me that you have no idea how much you’ve helped.”  It made me feel good because Elder Smith has so much on his plate.  He’s training Elder Edwards, he’s the branch president, and he’s trying to balance missionary work.  He’s finishing his mission next transfer so I don’t blame him at all.  He is just awesome and a really good missionary.  He’s such a stud.  It’s been a privilege living around him and Elder Edwards.  Elder Edwards is Jamaican.  He’s a boss!  I love being around him.  I don’t know if I have any pictures with him but I’ll get some pictures. 
            This week we did some service.  Here’s a cool story about service that we did.  We were just chilling, walking up the road getting ready to go to MLC because it was Thursday.  Thursday we were going to go with the Santa Cruz zone leaders and stay the night at their house and ride with them to Kingston and have MLC.  We were so excited.  What ended up happening is: we went to MLC and on the way back up the road to have lunch and comp study to prepare for MLC, we saw some guys trying to lift a truck.  It was an old beat-up truck and they were trying to lift the frame off of the axels and stuff.  They couldn’t do it.  So I asked them, “can we help you?”  I thought they were going to say back, “Naw man. Ya’ gud. We don’ wan’ ta dirtee up ya white shirt” like they always do.  But they didn’t.  They were like, “Ya’ you can ‘elp us!” So me and Elder Christensen dropped our bags and we just heaved that sucker.  It was awesome!  Elder Christensen and I had “gains from the Lord” for a couple of seconds and lifted this huge truck.  It was basically me and him.  So these Jamaicans were like, “Yo! These white men strong!”  It was just sick! We were pumped out of our minds.  So they asked where our church was.  We then told them where we lived and they said they lived in Mandeville.  We then told them that we had a church in Mandeville too, and they said they’d seen it before and that they would have to come and visit sometime.  We didn’t force the gospel on them or anything.  They just asked us about who we are and where our church is, as simple as that.  We didn’t throw a pamphlet at them or give them a Book of Mormon.  We were just good examples like Jesus Christ, and we moved on.  MLC was killer.  We talked on having joy and also how missionary work can be more unique and we can build trust with members through our talents.  For example: playing basketball with an investigator or if we want referrals from members, instead of going to their house and sharing a scripture, what Elder Christensen and I have planned for the zone is to go and be chill with these members.  But, we have to understand our missionary purpose and work hard to do all that we can. 
            Saturday we had to stay inside in Junction.  We came home for lunch.  We had been out all morning and got back around 1:00 and there were gunshots all around the house.  Junction is usually not like that.  It’s one of the most peaceful places in all of Jamaica.  We stayed inside the rest of the day.  Elder Smith and I just lifted weights and stuff.  Other than that it was a normal day.
            Sunday was nice.  Elder Christensen and I taught gospel principles.  It was more like gospel doctrine actually.  Talked about the doctrine and covenants.  Later we had interviews with President Peterson now that I remember.  That was awesome.  In fact, I brought up my shoulder and how I’m kind of injured.  I brought that up with President, long story short.
            We had zone conference on Monday.  We talked about how we can build trust with members through being real with them by learning what they like to do and going to do it with them.  Then they can invite their friends to do these things with us.  That way we can share the gospel, instead of just street contacting and ways like that.  We were way excited.  The assistants presented, we presented, also our district leaders off-island: Elder Jensen and Elder Houston, presented about love and charity and building trust.  So it was a meshed thing.  Afterwards, Elder Christensen and I had district leader training with Elder Jensen and Elder Houston.  Since we are usually all off-island we don’t get to be around each other.  So with us now being on the island of Jamaica we can work together.  Being in Junction has been awesome.  We’ve seen some red dirt roads and all that kind of stuff.  I’ve been very grateful to be here.  We are ready to go back and we should be going back sometime this week.  We are supposed to leave tomorrow but because of Hurricane Maria is also that way, president won’t be sending us for a few more days just to be safe.  With my shoulder issue President sent me to get an x-ray here in Kingston.  My collarbone was broken last time they checked it.  Elder Christensen gave me a blessing in Nassau but apparently my collarbone is no longer broken.  So that’s a miracle that I’m seeing.  That’s incredible.  They’re going to have me get an MRI just to see if it’s something with a ligament or a muscle.  I’m just praying that it’s a sprained shoulder or something or a pulled muscle.  Then three or four weeks go by of taking it easy and I should be able to lift and do what I always do.  I won’t have to worry anymore.  So that is nice to hear. 
            This week I have been built on when we serve others they are going to feel the radiance of our spirit if we are just like Jesus Christ.  It’s simple as that.  They’ll see the spirit in our lives and they’ll want that spirit in their lives.  So instead of us forcing the gospel on them, it just comes natural.  They ask why we do these things and who we are.  That is what I’ve seen.  I’ve been reading a lot in the New Testament and a little bit in the Pearl of Great Price seeing what God did for us through the creation, and why Adam transgressed and why we are here.  I’m really grateful for what I’ve learned on my mission and these tender mercies.  Continually building upon Jesus Christ is all we have to do.  As you all build on Jesus Christ you’ll have good lives as well.  I love you all and I hope you have a great week.  I’m grateful I got to talk to you again.  Everything is good.  I’m healthy as can be, just have to go to the doctor and get everything figured out.  Then we should be going back to Nassau here soon.  Hopefully my next voice recording will be in Nassau.  Right now, Jamaica me yard! So big up ya’selves.

Manna’s and respekt












9/14/2017  
Say hello to my little friend-
Serving in Junction, Jamaica while waiting for Hurricane Irma to pass.  They were flown back to Jamaica on Sept. 6, 2017 and will return to Nassau, Bahamas as soon as the hurricane passes. 














Some wicked pomegranates with Elder Christensen in the hills of Junction, Jamaica  9/14/2017










←Soursop  back in Junction 9/16/2017











  
Saw a Rolls Royce at the airport - on our way back to Nassau, Bahamas 9/20/2017

He sent this selfie on 9/21/2017 after he returned to Nassau - he didn't want mom mad at him because he didn't email her on Sept. 18th







Back to eating healthy!! Not Jamaican food - that's for sure!  9/21/2017









Sister Seawell made Sushi!!   The Elder's love Sister Seawell - AKA: Missionary Mom! 9/21/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment